Thursday, August 07, 2008

Day 1 continued.

Here's an advance apology for the ugly photo:
DSC_9246

This is where we stayed at in Vancouver, the St. Clair Hotel, a backpackers' lodging in a heritage building a few hundred years old. Fortunately, no few hundreds years old ghosts haunting it.

St. Clair really changed my impression of lodging for backpackers, which I somehow imagined as hole-in-the-walls, dirty with rodents scurrying around and grime in a dormitory-style toilet (euuuugh!). The location was excellent - near Granville station - and thankfully it was very clean.The shower also had nice hot water with a very strong spray. The main difference from that of a real hotel was that the shower and toilet bowl was shared, and that the room was very small with bunk beds and no TV. However, the other places I read about had lots of complaints about dirt and pests, so perhaps my family was lucky.

Although my first time doing it backpackers' style was rather decent - perhaps due to my extremely low expectations - I highly doubt that I'd stay in at such a lodging again (:

Just around the corner was a small unauthentic japanese cafe and a few other cheap eats, prolly due to it being a location where students eat.

DSC_9248

The cafe had a set that came with an appetiser, "main" and dessert or drink of your choice. I can't remember the price now, but it was affordable.

Sunomono (prawn / kani)
DSC_9253

DSC_9252

Sunomono is a type of "salad", vermicelli in rice vinegar with some vegetables and meat. Sounds really strange, but interestingly flavoured - imagine noodles in cold sour sauce. An acquired taste (:

Mains were basically a side of sushi served with rice. Not value for money unless you choose the right combination.

DSC_9254

DSC_9251

DSC_9255

The best was probably mine, as pictured right above. It came with sashimi in spicy marinade and tuna something which I can't recall.

We all chose drinks except Mom, who had "puffs" which turned out to be icecream puffs (:

DSC_9249

I'm sleepy so I'll continue in the next post.

No comments: